Tuesday 1 January 2013

Not another fuckin' travel blog...

I promise not to make a habit of this.

I usually don't write about travelling to That Foreign for two reasons. 
One, if I relied on writing about travel destinations I'd never have anything to write about and (b) travel blogs are, in my experience, a big passive-aggressive pain in the arse.

I am giving myself permission this week mainly because in travelling to Berlin I discovered two things this week.
(1) Despite its reputation for producing cool music, the city's taste in music honks, if this poster for a summer festival is anything to go by...





















(2) They have this thing on New Year's Eve, that they call Silvester. This appears to involve the entire population of Berlin going out into the street, and using only several hundred fuckin' fireworks each,engage in an al fresco improvised recreation of the Siege of Stalingrad only much louder and much longer.
Our web-mistress made the perfectly sane observation that there must still be some older Berliners for whom the noise of explosions and unnaturally bright lights in a winter sky bring back very unwelcome memories.
Younger Berliners need to get some fuckin' manners...

No comments: